[theme-reviewers] unable to upload please advice

Bryan Hadaway bhadaway at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 19:37:53 UTC 2012

Haha, this is funny.

I think it's like when someone says "I'll see you next Friday." (to them,
in their mind they literally mean *the very next* Friday) but the other
person almost always asks "Wait, *this* Friday or the Friday *after* this
Friday?"

The problem is that even if a statement is perfectly and logically clear,
people will still misinterpret it. The English language is simply too
loose, we have so many words, meanings and interpretations from culture to
culture and region to region etc. English is no where near as literal as
most languages.

Clarity:

   - Themes *must not* support backward compatibility for more than two
   major WordPress versions (currently, that means versions prior to WordPress
   3.2)
   - Themes *should not* support backward compatibility for more than one
   major WordPress version (currently, that means versions prior to WordPress
   3.3)

This does indeed work for clarity, but as Chip pointed out it's not very
future proof, is some going to go and change it every time there's an
update?

So instead why not use a placeholder example?:

   - Themes *must not* support backward compatibility for more than two
   major WordPress versions (for example, if the current version was 1.3 this
   would mean you could not support versions prior to WordPress 1.1)
   - Themes *should not* support backward compatibility for more than one
   major WordPress version (for example, if the current version was 1.3 this
   would mean you could not support versions prior to WordPress 1.2)

Note: That's still wrong (as the second line cancels out the first), just
wanted to illustrate how you could use an example instead of the actual
current version.

Bryan Phillip Hadaway

Web & Graphic Designer
calmestghost.com