[theme-reviewers] GPL

Bryan Hadaway bhadaway at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 03:04:50 UTC 2012

This is a big, confusing debate that gets rehashed over and over. There
really is no definitely clear answer and probably never will be. Since WP
allows both GPLv2 and 3 it's up to every individual to read both and decide
for themselves, no one can tell you what to use or what's best - they can
only decide for themselves. It can all be interpreted subjectively in many
different ways.

I had a GPL question I personally never saw discussed before if anyone
knows the answer. Is declaring Public Domain or No License (meaning there
are no restrictions whatsoever) compatible with GPL? There isn't anything
in the world friendlier than Public Domain so I can't see what the problem
would be. So what if you submitted a theme or plugin simply as:

License: Public Domain
License URI: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/publicdomain/

or

License: Unlicensed
License URI: http://unlicense.org/

If that was GPL and WP compatible we could just use one of those and never
have to worry about it again, even when GPLv4 inevitably comes around.

Bryan Phillip Hadaway

Web & Graphic Designer
calmestghost.com
bhadaway at gmail.com