[theme-reviewers] GPL-compatible social media icon sets

Kirk Wight kwight at kwight.ca
Mon Apr 30 17:54:07 UTC 2012

While icon fonts licensed SIL are GPL-compatible, the problem often comes
when you want to use just a subset of that font's glyphs to minimize
downloads (including 100-200K of fonts for a few icons doesn't make sense
to me). This requires creating your own font out of the desired icons
themselves and, unfortunately, a lot of the icons used to create the
SIL-licensed fonts are themselves not GPL-compatible. CC-BY-SA seems very
common for free icons and, as mentioned above, the only GPL-compatible CC
license is CC0.

Fontomas is not a font but a service for creating these sub-set fonts, and
the icon sets used are not GPL-compatible (Entypo and Iconic icons are both
CC-BY-SA, WebSymbols I couldn't find solid info on). Free to use and
distribute in any personal or professional project, but not GPL-compatible.

If submitted to the WordPress theme repo, a theme including the full Iconic
webfont could be accepted, but not a subset webfont generated by Fontomas.