[theme-reviewers] Proposal for a new guideline and plugin function

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Tue Apr 24 16:32:47 UTC 2012

One of the detrimental effects of the wild popularity and ease-of-use of
WordPress is the development of the misconception that hosting,
maintaining, and using a web application is "so easy a caveman can do it."

It's not.

WordPress comes as close to commoditizing a self-hosted web app as
currently possible, but using it - as with any web app - still requires
certain knowledge and skill sets. (You'd be surprised by the number of
WordPress users who have to ask what an FTP client is.) No web app can
account for all possible server configurations, all possible use cases, all
possible security exploits, etc. To host, manage, and use such a web app
properly, one must have an understanding of all these aspects.

On a side note: I'm actually quite happy that the general code quality of
repository-hosted Themes has improved to the point at which we are now
discussing the impact of relative server performance. IMHO, given the state
of code quality of repository-hosted Themes two years ago, that we're even
having this discussion is a huge win for end users.

Chip