[theme-reviewers] Proposal for a new guideline and plugin function

Robb Shecter robb at weblaws.org
Tue Apr 24 11:36:15 UTC 2012

I propose a guideline for maximum number of http requests generated per single-post and index views. The plugin can test this via a custom YSlow or Page Speed suite. We can have minimum scores for inclusion in the directory as well as the "featured" list in the Admin theme installer.

The reason: I had a disastrous experience with one of the featured themes, News. I installed it on a brand new blog. Each page visit caused 47 http requests to the server. A moderately popular link from Reddit crashed my entire server. (Details are in my blog post: http://www.g33klaw.com/2012/04/the-hidden-dangers-of-beautiful-themes/ )

Furthermore, the "theme homepage" link on the wordpress.org site is broken, and support seems to only be offered via a for-pay forum. These should also be grounds for exclusion from the directory and featured lists.

Robb