[theme-reviewers] Updating Custom Backgrounds and Custom Headers for WordPress 3.4

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Fri Apr 6 20:23:19 UTC 2012

I'm not suggesting *either* WITH *or* WITHOUT arguments be required. I'm
saying that either one should be acceptable, as determined by the Theme
developer.

I'm not sure that either WITH or WITHOUT should even be recommended,
especially since this is a clean-break deprecation we're talking about
here. The functionality is changing, so Child Themes that depend on the old
functionality WILL break. There's just no way around that, really. So, I'm
advocating that we give the most flexibility possible to the Theme
developer to decide whether or not to include arguments for custom
backgrounds. (Custom headers, on the other hand, will require at least
*some* arguments; namely, width and height at a minimum.)

I would suggest that the guideline requirement should simply be left at
"implemented properly" - as in, consistent with the core implementation; no
more, no less.

Chip