[theme-reviewers] Flash objects in themes

Michael Fields michael at mfields.org
Sat Oct 15 15:35:10 UTC 2011

> I'm reviewing a theme that includes a Flash audio player - is there anything, um, wrong with that? I guess it looks odd to me to see a proprietary blob in a theme...

This is a great question!

Does the theme include an SWF file or reference on via HTTP?

If it includes the SWF, I would thing that the theme should be required to provide the FLA as well.

I do not see anything wrong with the inclusion of such a file in a theme so long as end users are not restricted.

The only two area which I feel they could be restricted are:

	1. Incompatible License
	2. Lack of source files (FLA).

I just wanted to share my opinions on this topic.

Would really love to hear how others feel about situations like these.

Best,
- Mike