[theme-reviewers] How are derivative works identified?

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Tue Oct 4 18:57:01 UTC 2011

Well, in an ideal world, we would be able to tell via the Copyright/License
attribution trail. Unfortunately, we don't live in that ideal world. :)

The derivatives of Twenty Ten and Twenty Eleven are generally pretty easy to
spot, once you've spent some time in the code for both (likewise with past
default Themes, such as Kubrick and Default). With others, it's more a
matter of just eyeballing a ton of Themes, and starting to recognize
patterns. (Code in functions.php is usually fairly telling, as is the markup
for the Loop and for comments.)

Chip