[theme-reviewers] Help on theme review - Did I waste my time?

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Tue May 31 02:44:24 UTC 2011

Are you talking about your Theme, or the Plugin you're also developing?

If you're talking about your Theme, your template files should work the same
whether the CPT is registered in functions.php, or via the Plugin. If you're
talking about your Plugin, then I wouldn't even worry about other Themes'
template files. Implementation of your CPT is going to be entirely dependent
upon the Theme, and you won't feasibly be able to pre-determine how a Theme
might choose to implement it.

As for bbPress: even it requires specialized Theme template files. I believe
it includes template files out of the box that work with Twenty Ten, but any
other Theme will intentionally have to integrate bbPress' various template
files/tags.

Chip