[theme-reviewers] including feeds in header.php

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Wed May 4 17:54:29 UTC 2011

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 9:55 AM, Mike Little <wordpress at zed1.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 14:22, Otto <otto at ottodestruct.com> wrote:
>>
>> Also, there's no benefit to serving both an Atom and an RSS feed. The
>> content is the same and all feed readers can process both. Giving end
>> users a meaningless choice isn't very good UX. Pick one or the other
>> and just roll with it.
>>

> I disagree strongly that the content is the same... Oh! Wait... So do
> you:

I think you missed the word "both" in my reply.

There's no real advantage to using *both* of them, when the end result
for the user is basically the same. You're forcing the consumers of
your feed to make a rather unnecessary choice. I say just pick one.
Which you choose is up to you.

I no longer use the Atom Default Feed plugin, because some feed
readers don't support certain aspects of it as well. Specifically,
Media RSS type tags aren't picked up when you put them into Atom feeds
for a few feedreaders.