[theme-reviewers] Bundling Plugins

Justin Tadlock justin at justintadlock.com
Tue May 3 18:09:36 UTC 2011

If a theme creates a custom post type, the theme developer should really
be creating an additional plugin for users that eventually switch themes
to handle that post type so that there's no data that can't be used and
nothing that "locks in" the user.

I just had a long discussion over this situation a week or so ago.  The
solution we came up with instead of bundling custom post types in themes:

The best option is to create a plugin for custom post types.  Then,
build themes that support this plugin with custom templates and CSS (or
whatever would be required on the theme's end).  It's a win-win
situation for both users and developers.  The developer can corner the
market on whatever functionality that plugin is providing and users will
have more than one theme to choose from.

Suppose you had a "real estate" plugin.  The plugin would handle all of
the complex functionality.  The theme would simply house the templates
and styles to handle the display of the content.