[theme-reviewers] Would like to review a theme please.

michael at mfields.org michael at mfields.org
Sun Mar 27 02:48:03 UTC 2011

Thanks Chip!

Gave the first theme a look over and I wanted to get some feedback from
everyone about my observations. This is the first theme that I have
reviewed  so I am not sure about a few things.

It appears that this theme has undergone a cursory review by Chip Bennett
http://themes.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/3015 In this scenario, I'm
guessing it would be up to me to test all other areas not covered in the
previous review. I've checked quite a few things at this stage and
personally I would fail the theme. I've listed the following reasons why
below. Please let me know your thoughts on what is causatioon for a failed
review - I'm still a bit confused here. I also have a few questions if
someone has the time.

Thanks!
-Mike

Questions:

1. The theme provides a textarea in a custom settings page that allows the
user to display javascript in the frontend. My tests so far have shown
that care has been taking so that the code is correctly escaped on the
backend however the code is executed in the template files. Is this
allowed?

2. Are php notices fail material?

3. What about clearing h2 tags in the post content? This theme does not do
this and it makes for messy (IMHO) display of the floated image tests. Is
this something that I should report as a suggestion? Is it grounds for
failure?

4. Did I go far enough on the review? Too far? I would have failed the
theme for it not passing theme check requirements. Should I have just
stopped here?

==================
REVIEW STARTS HERE
==================

Theme Check Plugin - Required
-----------------------------
The theme doesn't have post pagination code in it. Use posts_nav_link() or
paginate_links() or next_posts_link() and previous_posts_link() to add
post pagination.

Theme Check Plugin - Recommended
--------------------------------
1. Text domain problems in search.php. You have not included a text
domain! Line 12: $count = $allsearch->post_count; _e('');
2. Theme URI: is missing from your style.css header.

Theme Unit Test: Many Categories
--------------------------------
No categories are displayed in single post view. Line 27 of index.php has
what I believe to be a logic error where get_the_tag_list() is checked
twice: if ( get_the_tag_list() || get_the_tag_list() ). I would suggest
checking for categories as well here.

Theme Unit Test: Post Format Test: Image (Linked)
The image in this post breaks out of the content area and spills into the
sidebar.

Attachment Views
----------------
Clicking on one of the images from the "Post Format Test: Gallery" post
will bring you to the view that I am talking about here. There are no
links to navigate to the previous or next image in the gallery. There are
also two php notices generated in this template:

Notice: Undefined variable: cmpvalues in core\plugins\seo-features.php on
line 409
Notice: Undefined offset: 0 in
core\plugins\breadcrumbs\yoast-breadcrumbs.php on line 211

I would suggest that you create an attachment.php template that will
handle the display of all attachments. The following link shows the
template heirarchy that is used for these views: <a
href="http://codex.wordpress.org/Template_Hierarchy#Attachment_display">Attachments</a>.

Empty Result Set - php notices
------------------------------
Please enter the a string that will produce no results ("123" worked for
me) into the search form located in the upper right-hand side of the
theme. 5 php notices are generated when there is no result set to display.
They are all created by the following file on lines 404, 406 and 409.
\3.1\wp-content\themes\wtrt-billions\core\plugins\seo-features.php. These
notices are not limited to search results. They extend into any case where
an empty result set is returned including: non-existant categories and
tags.

Search Results (page two only) - php notices
In the event that a search query produces more than one page of results,
page 2 always seems to display the following notice.
"Notice: Undefined variable: cmpvalues in
C:\xampplite\htdocs\3.1\wp-content\themes\wtrt-billions\core\plugins\seo-features.php
on line 409". This appears to be the same notice as reported above. Fixing
one *should* fix both.

Paged Navigation in Blog View
There is no paging for the blog view. This appears to be true where the
front page is set to display "Blog posts" as well as when a page is
assigned as the "Posts page". I see that there is a custom page template
(blog-template.php) which I beilive has been created to remedy this
situation, but it will only ever fix one of these scenarios. I would
suggest creating a new template (home.php) which WordPress will use in
both cases listed above. Please see the following codex article for
clarification on this:
http://codex.wordpress.org/Template_Hierarchy#Home_Page_display