[theme-reviewers] Including Creative Commons Attribution Code

Mike Little wordpress at zed1.com
Sun Mar 13 20:50:50 UTC 2011

On 13 March 2011 19:28, Otto <otto at ottodestruct.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 1:40 PM, Chip Bennett <chip at chipbennett.net>
> wrote:
> > Well, let's make this simpler: This decision is above the pay-grade of
> the
> > Theme Review Team.
>
> I did some research, and while I can't find any particular reason that
> the CC--BY-SA 3.0 would be incompatible, I also can't find anybody
> saying that it actually is.

CC-BY-SA 3.0 is not listed as compatible with the GNU GPL on the GNU site (
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#GPLCompatibleLicenses)
therefore is *not* compatible.

Further, CC-BY-SA 2.0, is explicitly stated as *incompatible* with the GNU
GPL. http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#ccby

It is the attribution requirements in those licences which makes them
incompatible with the GNU GPL. "You must attribute the work in the manner
specified by the author or licensor", this clause allows an author to impose
restrictions which are incompatible with the GNU GPL.

Note in the reference above, the FSF are quite happy for people to use some
CC licences for works of art or entertainment, and even for works of
opinion
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#OpinionLicenses  but not for
software.

Mike