[theme-reviewers] Question about ob_start and ob_get_clean (Vicky Arulsingam)

Ryan Hellyer ryan at pixopoint.com
Wed Jun 29 12:18:44 UTC 2011

There are many reasons to use output buffering (ob_start etc), but
they would rarely be used within a theme. I've seen themes which use
buffering as a way to dynamically minify the markup, but that's a
horrid way to do it - much better incorporated within a caching plugin
IMO.

There may be a practical use for output buffer in a theme, but I'm
darned if I can think of a good example. I wouldn't want to see it
banned outright, as someone may come up with a cunning use for it that
none of us have thought of.

Perhaps the theme check plugin could check for output buffering
functions and leave a request for the theme developer to provide a
reason for using it? That way they'll know it's non-standard and
provide a reason (good or bad) for the theme reviewers to read. Could
potentially save a little to and fro'ing in the future. Just an idea.