[theme-reviewers] Theme Unit Test Data: Gallery Columns

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Sat Jul 16 21:07:53 UTC 2011

I use 10 personally, just because it's a nice, round number. And I'm an
engineer, so I naturally think in orders of magnitude. :)

At least for the time being (given the nature of the core implementation),
I'm fine with allowing Themes to support the default number of columns, and
if necessary to document the limitation in the Theme documentation.

Getting a fix in core is probably a minimum workaround. However, I still
would much rather see us get to the point where core isn't adding in
arbitrary styling for one arbitrary component (galleries), when *core
doesn't define markup for absolutely anything else* on the front end.

The excuse I got in the ticket was that making the change (to remove the
inline styles added for the gallery shortcode) would "break" existing
Themes. I'd rather see that battle fought and won, but if not, then the next
alternative would be to add in core styling for up to 9 columns.

Chip