[theme-reviewers] Question about ob_start and ob_get_clean (Vicky Arulsingam)

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Sun Jul 3 07:29:42 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 2:21 AM, Darren Slatten <darrenslatten at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Themes shouldn't try to correct plugins, Themes should display what
>> WordPress tells it to, and style it according to the users & plugins
>> wishes...
>
> This is just one example of what seems like an endless stream of pretentious
> opinions being dictated as facts to the general subscriber base of this
> mailing list.

Look, if you can't even agree on the simple fact that a theme is
supposed to be a *theme*, then this discussion is getting into the
"pointless" territory pretty darned fast.

The only person I see being "pretentious" here is you. Nothing but
long endless diatribes about how your code is right and everybody else
who disagrees with you is wrong. I would point out that the people
disagreeing with you are core developers, admins of the theme review
system, design experts, and people like me who are just plain
all-around-general-know-it-alls (thank you very much), but then you'd
probably just take that as some kind of appeal to authority or
something.

At some point, you're simply going to have to sit down and say to
yourself "hey, why are all these people, who really do know things and
are widely considered to be experts, disagreeing with me?" Maybe it's
because you haven't explained your reasoning properly. That's a
possibility, certainly. I would have to say that nothing you've stated
makes sense to me, even though you continually state that you've
explained something already.

On the other hand, perhaps you're just going to have to accept the
fact that, you know what? You might just be wrong. I know, shocker
there, but it is a possibility that you're going to have to face up to
at some point.

However, whenever I see a thread where Me, Nacin, Chip, Dion, scribu,
Justin Tadlock, Simon, and Ryan Hellyer are all actually *agreeing*
about something, then I'd have to say that that is pretty darned
unusual. So, it's a point that you just might have to consider.