[theme-reviewers] Question about ob_start and ob_get_clean (Vicky Arulsingam)

Darren Slatten darrenslatten at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 22:18:01 UTC 2011

> *How do you ensure that this doesn't mess up plugin functionality when
> you're wrong about the necessity of the code a plugin is using? *

Keep in mind that the theme doesn't actually change anything by default;
it merely enables the user to make changes. Therefore, this question
would have to be answered on a case-by-case basis by users who have
opted to take advantage of the functionality provided by the theme.

*Also, I'm curious if you really save anything by buffering and
> processing it this way (given the sophistication of the filter). *

If you're referring to page load times, the "savings" are on the client
side. Naturally, there would be an additional cost on the server side,
but it would be 1 or 2 magnitudes less than the client-side savings.

*It's true they won't likely just change that, but how is it that the
> plugin authors are unable to code around your filter then? So does this
> just end up being a code war between the theme developers and the plugin
> developers both trying to code around each other to get links in? *

Again, the theme doesn't make any changes by default. Removing plugin
author attribution comments would be something the site administrator
would have to code themselves.