[theme-reviewers] WordPress Shortcodes

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Sat Dec 31 03:22:26 UTC 2011

On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 9:15 PM, Robert Ambartsumov
<robert6292 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Prohibitting the use of custom widgets of that sort will reduce theme
> quality because sometimes the widget is also styled properly to the theme
> and so as the contact us page. User is not forced to use widgets as he knows
> widgets are dynamic and are changed from 1 theme to another, I think that's
> why custom widgets are for, or not?
>
> If a theme provides properly styled widgets and custom pages that is a
> blessing not a curse, sometimes you get plugins that are not properly styled
> and user needs to look into code to style them, worse for the user I would
> say rather then have it all in 1 pack.

I have no problem with themes including advanced features, but ideas
on how to encourage them to move such stuff into plugins would be
nice. There's benefits there too: expand their audience, perhaps?

Maybe some sample code to easily add plugin dependencies, or simpler
"required-plugin" install code, sort of thing? Just throwing out
ideas.