[theme-reviewers] Question about guidelines - Trademark

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Wed Dec 21 03:45:08 UTC 2011

Bearing in mind the IANAL caveat for pretty much anyone on this list...

The way I look at it is like this: I consider my Oenology Theme. It's
licensed under GPL. That license includes the design. It does not include
the name "Oenology". Even though I don't necessarily have a particular,
commercial interest in associating the name "Oenology" with the Theme, I
still have a right to the name in association with the Theme. (At the very
least, someone modifying the Theme, adding malicious content, and
redistributing it under the name "Oenology" could potentially reflect
poorly on my reputation as a Theme developer.) Thus, my trademark claim
protects me from that, even though the *copyright* license is GPL, and
under copyright license, the redistribution of my modified Theme is
perfectly acceptable.

That's why, taking the phpBB Theme, use of the "phpBB" name should require
approval of the *trademark* owner of that name, while the *copyright*
license of the phpBB *product* allows the design of the product to be
cloned.

Hopefully that makes sense? If not, I'll blame it on being way too tired...

Chip