[theme-reviewers] Translation Slugs for Walkers

Sayontan Sinha sayontan at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 21:21:53 UTC 2011

Leaving out the slug uses the default translation, of that I am sure. The
reason I asked is because I recall seeing a thread recently where an
argument was advanced that core WP developers might change the strings
used, in which case what I have in my theme remains untranslated.

On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 1:17 PM, Otto <otto at ottodestruct.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 2:16 PM, Sayontan Sinha <sayontan at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am trying to extend a menu walker on the admin side by adding a couple
> of
> > fields. The way the Walker_Nav_Menu class is written, I have to replicate
> > the methods defined in the class, then add my own code (i.e. I cannot do
> > things like parent::parent_method()). When I do this, I have to end up
> > copying things such as translated strings. What is the recommended method
> > for such strings? Do I leave the default (no slug) or do I add my theme's
> > slug to the originals?
> >
> > My guess is that I have to put in my theme's slugs, but I would like to
> > request confirmation.
>
> I'm not 100% on this, but I believe that if the string is unaltered
> and exactly the same, then leaving out the slug will work fine and
> make it use the default translation. You may want to test this to see
> if my theory is right.
>
> However, if you leave out the slug, then theme check will give you a
> warning. But it is only a recommended warning, shouldn't cause an
> automatic fail. To avoid having the reviewer fail the theme, you
> should include a readme.txt file (you should do this anyway), and make
> a note about this in it that says it's intentional and why.
>
> -Otto

Sayontan Sinha
http://mynethome.net | http://mynethome.net/blog
--
Beating Australia in Cricket is like killing a celebrity. The death gets
more coverage than the crime.