No subject

Wed Aug 17 18:42:36 UTC 2011

site to include third party advertisements and indirect links to other
external commercial sites sites. But selling non-GPL content directly from
such a site is not allowed.

I'm sure that if ads and other external links were not allowed, there would
a lot of plugin/theme support sites in violation of policy.

Bruce

On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 11:15 AM, Yulian Yordanov <yul.yordanov at gmail.com>wrote:

>  *These people would probably prefer to not GPL their designs*.
>
> This is against GPL as it's written in their webpage
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html
>
> The GNU General Public License does not permit incorporating your program
> into proprietary programs. If your program is a subroutine library, you may
> consider it more useful to permit linking proprietary applications with the
> library. If this is what you want to do, use the GNU Lesser General Public
> License instead of this License. But first, please read <
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/why-not-lgpl.html>.
>

> Yulian
>

> --
> Yulian Yordanov
>
> yul.yordanov at gmail.com
> post-scriptum.info

--e89a8f22c705fa48c404c0f51725

I don&#39;t think this is the same issue. We are talking about selling non-=
GPL data (banner images, theme design data files). The theme itself remains=
 GPL. We&#39;re talking about data to use with the theme/plugin.<br><br>
The question relates to the policy of WP of not providing non-GPL content o=
n a site linked to directly from a theme/plugin in the repository.<br><br>F=
rom Chip&#39;s answer, and past discussions, I think it is okay for such a =
site to include third party advertisements and indirect links to other exte=
rnal commercial sites sites. But selling non-GPL content directly from such=
 a site is not allowed.<br>
re would a lot of plugin/theme support sites in violation of policy.<br><br=
Yulian Yordanov <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:yul.yordanov at gmail.=
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
 =20
   =20
 =20
    This is against GPL as it&#39;s written in their webpage
://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html</a><br>
      permit incorporating your program
      into proprietary programs. If your program is a subroutine
      library, you
      may consider it more useful to permit linking proprietary
      applications with
      the library. If this is what you want to do, use the GNU Lesser
      General
      Public License instead of this License. But first, please read
      &lt;<a href=3D"http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/why-not-lgpl.html" targe=
t=3D"_blank">http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/why-not-lgpl.html</a>&gt;.</bloc=
kquote>
          Yordanov