No subject

Wed Aug 17 18:42:36 UTC 2011

perhaps "Special-Use Themes", with tags such as "landing-page", etc. (or,
even just "special-use").

I'm with you: I'm all for getting more, great Themes into the repository,
and for encouraging and facilitating innovative uses of WordPress Themes.
The bigger problem - and the one that we can't solve - will be the same
problem we have with Child Themes: the powers-that-be may kibbosh the entire
idea, due to lack of Extend/wp-admin back-end exposure/handling of niche
Themes. So, we should get their buy-in before we explore the idea too far.

Chip

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 2:37 PM, Edward Caissie <edward.caissie at gmail.com>wrote:

> I'm good with something like that.
> I think we also need to specify the Theme Author must explain why they
> need/want to have their specific theme by-pass the upload checks in their
> "User request"; maybe a form submission (a la plugins) rather than having it
> hit this mailing list?
>
> I'm all for finding a way to open the repository to quality niche themes,
> but something tells me Pandora's box may be in the shadows ... are we
> missing anything?
>

> Cais.
>

> On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 3:29 PM, Chip Bennett <chip at chipbennett.net>wrote:
>
>> Here's how I'm currently envisioning it:
>>
>>    1. User requests theme-slug whitelist
>>    2. Otto/Pross adds theme-slug to bypass white-list
>>    3. User uploads Theme, using the Uploader
>>    4. Ticket created
>>    5. Ticket keyword "niche" (or "uploader-bypass" or whatever) appended
>>    6. Ticket gets sorted into new Queue (just like BuddyPress Themes have
>>    their own queue)
>>
>> From there, the process is pretty much the same, except that the actual
>> *review* will be far more manual.
>>
>> Chip
>>

>> On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 2:23 PM, Edward Caissie <edward.caissie at gmail.com
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I like the theme-slug white-list, versus the author white-list, in
>>> conjunction with a tag/keyword.
>>> Also, the reviewer(s) will need to be able to easily see the theme would
>>> require special attention after the first approved version goes live.
>>>
>>> I take it this would be a completely manual process into the repo, or
>>> would we be going with a proper submission after the theme passes the
>>> niche/non-niche criteria and the white-list(s) have been updated?
>>>

>>> Cais.

--90e6ba1efd2ec2f13b04b061cab5

I was trying to start from the most-simple, and work toward more complex as=
ts the &quot;niche&quot; nature of the Theme in readme.txt, and explains it=
s special usage. At the same end of the complexity spectrum, the Theme deve=
loper adds the special-consideration rationale in as an in-ticket comment, =
before the review commences.</div>
the Reviewers, we would have a submission form to request a theme-slug to b=
e white-listed, with an explanation of the &quot;niche&quot; nature of the =
Theme, and rationale for special consideration.</div>
ew Filter Tag class: perhaps &quot;Special-Use Themes&quot;, with tags such=
 as &quot;landing-page&quot;, etc. (or, even just &quot;special-use&quot;).=
hemes into the repository, and for encouraging and facilitating innovative =
uses of WordPress Themes. The bigger problem - and the one that we can&#39;=
t solve - will be the same problem we have with Child Themes: the powers-th=
at-be may kibbosh the entire idea, due to lack of Extend/wp-admin back-end =
exposure/handling of niche Themes. So, we should get their buy-in before we=
 explore the idea too far.</div>
2011 at 2:37 PM, Edward Caissie <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:edw=
lockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px =
#ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">
I&#39;m good with something like that.<br>I think we also need to specify t=
he Theme Author must explain why they need/want to have their specific them=
e by-pass the upload checks in their &quot;User request&quot;; maybe a form=
 submission (a la plugins) rather than having it hit this mailing list?<br>

hemes, but something tells me Pandora&#39;s box may be in the shadows ... a=
class=3D"h5">
nnett <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:chip at chipbennett.net" target=
=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padd=
ing-left:1ex">

theme-slug whitelist</li><li>Otto/Pross adds theme-slug to bypass white-lis=

<li>Ticket keyword &quot;niche&quot; (or &quot;uploader-bypass&quot; or wha=
tever) appended</li><li>Ticket gets sorted into new Queue (just like BuddyP=
ss is pretty much the same, except that the actual *review* will be far mor=
e manual.</div>

 Caissie <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:edward.caissie at gmail.com" =

x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
I like the theme-slug white-list, versus the author white-list, in conjunct=
ion with a tag/keyword.<br>Also, the reviewer(s) will need to be able to ea=
sily see the theme would require special attention after the first approved=
 version goes live.<br>

ould we be going with a proper submission after the theme passes the niche/=
non-niche criteria and the white-list(s) have been updated?<br><br><br clea=
r=3D"all">

pan dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:otto at ottodestruct.com" target=3D"_bla=
il_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-lef=
t:1ex">

ip at chipbennett.net" target=3D"_blank">chip at chipbennett.net</a>&gt; wrote:<b=
r>
&gt; So, same thing, except for white-listed *usernames*, rather than<br>
&gt; *theme-slugs*?<br>
&gt; My issue with that idea is that, then, even that user&#39;s *non-niche=
* Themes<br>
&gt; would bypass the checks (and most likely, the Reviewer will have no id=
ea of<br>
&gt; this occurrence - unless the Trac ticket includes some relevant<br>
&gt; notification). Thus, if we&#39;re going to go to the trouble of white-=
listing, I<br>
&gt; think theme-slug makes more sense than username.<br>
&gt; And speaking of Trac handling: I like the idea of appending a relevant=
&gt; *ticket keyword* for such Themes, so that we can process them separate=
ly.<br>
Tags or keywords could be added too.<br>
-Otto<br>
/a><br>
theme-reviewers mailing list<br>
eme-reviewers at lists.wordpress.org</a><br>