[theme-reviewers] inLine #4584 advice - menu

Mario Peshev mario at peshev.net
Mon Aug 1 12:56:10 UTC 2011

Hi there,

I'm reviewing the inLine theme from the queue (number 4584, link -
http://themes.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/4584 ). I'm pretty positive about
the code quality of the theme, the admin settings and the behavior based on
the demo content. Theme checker plugins throw no exceptions, post formats
are defined appropriately (except aside which shows title here) and almost
everything looks great to me. The theme is applying additional hooks and the
code is module-based and commented as well.

My only serious remark is that by default the theme top menu shows "Home"
only. Not a standard menu, not the fallback page menu that WordPress applies
by default. Just the Home link.

After code inspection I found that code snippet which expects a primary
location for custom menu even if none is defined:

function inline_do_header_nav() {
// Create the primary nav menu
$inline_primary_nav = wp_nav_menu( array( 'theme_location' => 'primary',
'sort_column' => 'menu_order', 'container_id' => 'primary',
'container_class' => 'menu-header', 'echo' => 'false', 'fallback_cb' =>
'inline_fallback_primary_nav' ) );
 // Display the primary nav menu only if it is set
if ( $inline_primary_nav ) {
echo $inline_primary_nav;
}
}

I assume this is against the standard rules - or maybe it isn't?

If this expectation is allowed, I would suggest 'approved' status for the
theme but I find it inappropriate for the fallback function to list 'Home'
only when I have 12 pages on my demo site.

Thanks for the help,

Mario Peshev
freelance software developer/trainer
http://www.linkedin.com/in/mpeshev