[theme-reviewers] Alternative to eval()

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Thu Apr 28 17:56:48 UTC 2011

I'd seriously recommend against allowing users to input PHP code into
a theme's form field for execution... allowing them to paste in custom
HTML should be more than enough.

But... if I was going to do something like this, I'd use
create_function instead of eval.

add_action( $action_hook, create_function( '' , '?>'. $php_code ) );

That said, I would be highly reluctant to do or allow this sort of
thing in a theme. There's entirely too much potential for users to put
in bad PHP code, break their site, then not understand why. The PHP
Code Widget I created years ago when widgets were new is probably my
most popular plugin, and I still get emails with people telling me
it's broken when it's really just their own bad copy-pasted code.

This sort of thing is better off put into a plugin, so that it can be
disabled at will.

-Otto