[theme-reviewers] Use Static Front Page by Default for Reviews?

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Fri Apr 22 13:40:21 UTC 2011

All,

I'm thinking of switching up my review setup (and perhaps adjusting the
Theme Unit Test data accordingly), such that by default, it is setup to use
a Static Page as the Front Page, and a separate Static Page for the Blog
Posts Index.

I've seen a few instances where:

1) I might forget to test the front-page.php template file, or
2) The Theme Developer mistakenly uses "home.php" instead of
"front-page.php" as the Front Page template, which causes the Blog Posts
Index to behave incorrectly when in a Static Front Page setup.

I'm trying to think of any drawbacks, but can't come up with anything. If
the Theme doesn't include "front-page.php" and/or "home.php", then the
template hierarchy will fall back properly to "page.php" for the Static
Front Page and "index.php" for the Blog Posts Index.

Can anyone think of any drawbacks with using this approach?