[theme-reviewers] Posts without Titles

Shawn Grundy smgrundy at live.com
Wed Apr 20 23:02:26 UTC 2011

There are also situations for other post-types, such as status, where typical display of the posts can be unique. For instance, I had a project where I there was a text-bubble message next to the logo on a page and the client wanted to use this space for announcements, current project links, etc. I used the status post-format and then displayed the most recent status in this bubble. But because this status post was for a particular area of the theme, there was no reason to have it display in the index on the blog, so I just created a custom loop for the blog and cut-out this format altogether. That's the great thing about post-formats and custom post-types, they can be handled separately from the typical "blog post".
In the case of the theme test, at least for the theme where this question came up from (I was the original reviewer). This was for a theme that was intended to serve as a "blank slate" (which is the name of the theme too), so, there really wasn't any custom styling or functions in place to handle posts without titles. The test post, which is a regular post...is intended more to test situations where users "forget" to enter a title. If that happens, should the post not be accessible? I can tell you that this particular test post does not have enough text to trigger an automatic excerpt, so on one hand....it is displaying the full content of the post, but the comments (if any) should be accessible via the comments_popup_link(). Perhaps this test post should consist of several paragraphs and have some comments in place to check the comments link and perhaps a continue reading link.
There are no comments for this post (disabled) and the entire content only consists of a sentence, but it states very clearly that a link "MUST" be present to the sing-page view. Again, though, without comments or more text, there's really nothing more to access for this particular post....
I would suggest that the test post for this scenario at the very minimum should have comments enabled and have at least one comment....or better yet more content and comments...then it would at least make sense to require such a link without a title.