[theme-reviewers] Posts without Titles

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Wed Apr 20 21:19:05 UTC 2011

For specific cases, I'd say this is acceptable. For example, if
they're using post formats (such as the "Link" format) to hide the
title, then there's no reason to have a way to get to the single post
page. I've implemented similar cases using post formats.

My preferred implementation is the one I used for matt's site. I made
it add a ∞ symbol at the end of asides, for example, which links
to the single post page. For Link formats, I intentionally left that
out, since I thought links weren't worth it. Although the comment
bubble shows up, I guess. Either way, it's an acceptable design
choice, depending on the specific circumstances.

You may say that they should have an explanation in a readme.txt, but
I wouldn't reject a theme solely on that basis, as long as it's
clearly not the default case.

JM2C.

Code to do the infin trick (adjust as desired):

add_filter('the_content',' mytheme_format_content',1);
function mytheme_format_content($content) {
	global $post;
	if ( (is_home() || is_archive() ) && ( has_post_format( 'aside' ) ) )
{ // add other formats as needed
		$content .= '&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<a href="'.get_permalink().'">&infin;</a>';
	}
	return $content;
}

-Otto