[theme-reviewers] Proposal for classifying themes

Anca Mosoiu anca at anca.tv
Tue Sep 14 20:52:30 UTC 2010

Hello theme reviewers,

I've been lurking on this list (and wp-hackers) and have really been finding the conversation helpful and informative.   Also, I have an unmet need regarding themes, and I'd like to propose a solution to help me address it.

I teach people how to use WordPress. These are mostly non-techies (writers, artists, and small-business owners, mainly) who have different objectives for their sites - some might want blogs, but others want "static" sites, yet others want to build shopping carts.  One of the things that I am trying to help them with is choosing a theme - both from the premium as well as the free repository.  They don't have the wherewithal to really customize a theme, but in many (most?) cases there are free themes that will get them started.

I'm finding that the tags we use in the free theme repository are not as helpful as they might be.  I'd like to be able to help people search by theme functionality (e.g. blog, magazine, brochure, etc) in addition to features (custom-header, theme-options).

How does one go about adding new tags to the theme repository?   Do people tag their own themes, or can third parties help with that?

I volunteer to go through all of the 3.0-compatible themes and mark them with functionality tags once we've agreed on a classification scheme.

Cheers,

Anca.