[theme-reviewers] My First Suggest-Approval *sniff*

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Sun Sep 12 23:47:14 UTC 2010

On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 6:03 PM, Otto <otto at ottodestruct.com> wrote:

> I may not express this properly, given that I've had a couple of beers
> today, but... ;)
>
> When you give a theme not-approval, you're not actually stopping the
> theme from being released, or stopping people from using it, or
> anything of the sort. You're just cutting off the users of that theme
> from the primary update mechanism that is built right into WP.
>
> I've looked at several of the rejected themes in the trac, and without
> exception, every single one of them is available for download on the
> author's site.
>
> See, when a theme gets updated in the repo, users get a notification.
> They can one-click update the theme and get new features, security
> fixes, etc... Think of plugin updates, it's the same basic principle
> here.
>
> Given that themes are just as capable as plugins, this sort of thing
> isn't protecting users, it's actively harming them. It hurts users to
> be using themes that are not from wp.org. Sure, a theme author could
> implement their own update mechanism (it's actually quite easy), but
> none really have so far.

We cannot control what code is available outside of the repo. That a
developer chooses to release lower-quality code outside of the repo, rather
than higher-quality code through the repo, is a choice that only he can
make. That users choose to download and install code from outside the repo,
rather than through the repo, is a choice that only they can make.

All those decisions are entirely outside the scope of the Theme Review
process and team. We should not lower our quality standard because of those
decisions.

> We *really* want users to get theme updates and to get used to
> updating themes in the same way that they update plugins. If this
> means we need to sacrifice a few minor things here and there then
> quite frankly I'm for letting the "minor" things slide.

Fair enough. Spell out what guidelines you consider to be minor, and how
many such minor infractions should be allowable for a passing Theme.

> I have full faith in the theme reviewers to be able to determine what
> is a minor problem that can be fixed in an update vs. what is a major
> problem that must be resolved immediately. C'mon people, you have both
> brains and judgment skills. You're all programmers. You know PHP. You
> should be able to tell what's minor or not. This "abide by the list"
> mentality is not helpful to anybody.

The Theme review queue is holding steady at more than 60 Themes. We don't
have time to make the process more subjective and less objective. The "abide
by the list" mentality ensures fairness and facilitates the most
efficient, expeditious review process.

The way I see it, criteria should be *required*, *recommended*, or
*optional*. If a required criterion fails, then it must be fixed before the
Theme passes. If we have *required* criteria that should be *recommended*,
then let's address those.

> But that's just my opinion. Take it as you will. ;)
>
> -Otto

Any sincere, respectful opinion is appreciated and given due consideration.
:)