[theme-reviewers] Themes With Customizable Logos *and Featured Images*

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Thu Sep 2 18:58:39 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 1:54 PM, Edward Caissie <edward.caissie at gmail.com>wrote:

> The idea looks feasible for using Post-Thumbnail but I can also see it as
> having the potential to have two different images representative of the post
> whereas the custom fields would support the second image. The author is
> suggesting the theme is testing for the custom field <featuredimage -
> image_URL> key-pair ... which may conflict with testing for an existing
> Featured Image provided via post_thumbnail.
>
> Technically speaking both could be used on a post and both images could be
> different ... or the same. That would be at the end-user's discretion.
>

> Cais.
>
> PS: I did not look at the code to see if post_thumbnial is being
> implemented already. EAC

It's not. The Theme isn't using the_post_thumbnail() anywhere (and doesn't
add_theme_support() for them, either.

And it's using the custom field merely as a "featured image" - which is
*exactly* what the Post Thumbnail is called on the edit-post page.
Basically, it would be asking users, instead of using the functionality
they're used to seeing for featured images, adding them as a custom field
instead.