[theme-reviewers] Carrington Framework / Carrington Text

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Thu Sep 2 15:50:20 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 10:42 AM, Edward Caissie <edward.caissie at gmail.com>wrote:

> Thanks Chris ...
>
> "Framework" themes are a whole different animal than most themes ... and
> some tend to do things out of the ordinary.
>
> I'll post some questions, here:
>
>    - Should they be handled differently?
>    - Should we add additonal Trac keywords?
>    - Should there be an assignable tag by the Review team so they
>    enter/exist in the repository with more recognition of their inherent
>    potential and options?
>
> Just some thoughts, there are perhaps 10 or so that would come to mind if
> we took a look at the repository ... the Carrington themes, Thematic,
> Hybrid, ComicPress, Suffusion, Atahualpa, Tarski, etc come to mind off the
> top of my head, I know there are more.
>
> "Framework" may not be the most appropriate term, but these themes et al.
> represent the ones that have a great many available options, for example,
> that are well above and beyond most.

I would go with Justin Tadlock's nomenclature with respect to "frameworks" -
that is, drop-in code on top of which Parent Themes are built. In
Carrington's case, this drop-in code is "Carrington Core". I believe
Thematic and Hybrid are (or will be?) much the same.

My thinking is that we really need first to review/approve the framework
code. That way, if a Theme is using a known/approved version of the
framework, that part can be ignored in the Theme review.

The question then becomes: how best to handle review/approval of frameworks?