[theme-reviewers] Public Redress of Theme Reviewers

esmi at quirm dot net esmi at quirm.net
Wed Sep 1 19:27:37 UTC 2010

on 01/09/2010 17:03 Chip Bennett said the following:
> On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 10:39 AM, Otto <otto at ottodestruct.com> wrote:

<snip>

>> This is acceptable to you? You want the process to turn people away
>>  from our site?

> If such people are utterly unwilling to support the community's
> efforts to ensure high-quality, supported Themes are available in the
> official Theme repository, what does that say about their willingness
> to be contributing members of the community?

I rarely bother to read this list - although I'm still obviously
subscribed in case I need it when I pluck up my remaining enthusiasm to
submit another theme. However, much of what I have read over the past
few weeks is strikingly redolent of one thing - an apparent total lack
of any respect for theme authors.

Apparently we're all submitting "appalling quality" themes, using the
Theme Review process to quality control our themes because we are
unwilling to do so ourselves and attempting to buck the system if we try
to bring up legitimate issues.

How on earth can you directly equate serious concerns about the current
review process with an unwillingness to be contributing members of the
community? And what does this say about your estimation of those who do
raise valid arguments - whether you agree with them or not?

I speak as one who does contribute where I can - albeit peripherally -
and as one who tried to use this very list to raise a valid concern
about the (then) Theme Review Guidelines. Even citing the Codex in
support of my concerns. I was quite clearly told to ignore the Codex and
to add something to my theme (that was totally incorrect) if I wanted it
to pass the Review. At *no* point was there any "discussion" of the
issue I raised. In fact, the only reason the issue was corrected was
that a member of the core development team came in a week later and
specifically said that it *had* to be removed from the Guidelines.

So why did no one listen to me? Because, it seems to me, that you have
very little or no respect for most theme authors.

And, gentlemen, without MUTUAL respect, there will never be ANY
meaningful discussion or progress.

And, please don't tell me to go and do a few reviews. I've been
reviewing designs, sites and themes for years. And, yes, 7 out of 10 of
the sites that I review will probably fail at the first hurdle. But even
with the most severe failures, I would never, ever, communicate with the
developer with anything other than respect and thanks. And, wherever
possible, I will always try to point them in the right direction - in
some case working with them for a few weeks to address the issues I found.

If someone doesn't respect their submitters and isn't willing to work
*with* them  - and in some cases, educate them - then I personally
question whether they should be doing the job at all. Reviewing someone
else's work is far more than just going through a list of tick boxes and
laying down the law.

Sadly, I don't see that happening here. :-(

esmi