[theme-reviewers] Category templates not allowed? Notacceptable.

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Wed Sep 1 15:46:06 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 10:26 AM, Otto <otto at ottodestruct.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 10:16 AM, Philip M. Hofer (Frumph)
> <philip at frumph.net> wrote:
> > There is no documentation for the end user to recognize that.
>
> And you didn't bother to tell the theme author (me) to add
> documentation either. How are they supposed to know that, exactly?

How is the Theme reviewer (or the end user, for that matter), supposed to
know what the specialized functionality is, or how to use it? The Guidelines
clearly state that such specializations should be documented in the Theme.

Can we improve the wording? Sure. I'd say there's *always* room for such
improvement. But don't act like the Guidelines don't cover documentation of
specialized Theme functionality.

> > If you wish to include a readme.txt file as such then by all means, until
> > then please stop throwing your weight around.
>
> If I have to start throwing some weight around to fix this process and
> make you guys stop pushing people out of the community like this, then
> I'll do so.

Throw your weight around all you want.

Might I suggest, though, that before you do, you walk a few miles in our
shoes? Perform two or three reviews. Unless and until you do so, I will
consider accordingly the value of anything you have to say, or any weight
you choose to throw around.

> Hey, if I can feel like this, then I can only imagine what theme
> authors must feel like after you chew them up and spit them out. I'm
> surprised we get anybody even bothering to put themes in the repo.
>
> That's funny. You're the only one who responds in this manner. "Chew them
up and spit them out"? Your hyperbolic rhetoric is getting to be laughable.

Several of us have had several Theme developers who actually demonstrate a
willingness to understand the process, and the Guidelines, and to work with
us to help get their Themes approved.

Get over yourself, do some Theme reviews so you understand what the
reviewers deal with, and then offer some constructive advice and criticism
for improving the process and the guidelines.