[theme-reviewers] Guidance on theme security

Edward Caissie edward.caissie at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 15:00:15 UTC 2010

Something to keep in mind with the adoption of the current version of
WordPress is the stigmatism attached to a 'point-zero' release.

For the most part, the average user is easily swayed to believe that a
point-zero release is buggy and not a great idea to upgrade to so they wait
for the 'point-one' release.  I use the term "average user" for the simple
sake most users do not appreicate or understand the version numbering
process used in WordPress.

If I wasn't involved as much as I am I would likely also consider myself one
of those "average users" in thinking that 3.0 should be a wait and see
unless you enjoy using buggy software (BTW, I think a lot of the blame can
be attributed to nacin, or the good folk in that Washington state city
*grin* ).

I think once WP3.1 is released and given a (possibly short) reasonable
amount of time to be implemented we will start to see installations skewed
much more towards 3.0+ than what we are seeing now.

As to backward compatibility in the Theme repository, IMHO one full version
30-60 days after one full release is about as far as would be needed. That
gives authors the ability to address what needs to be changed (if anything)
and minimizes the impact on the Theme Review process. Of course, this is
related to the discussions that have been on-going for months regarding the
Theme repository in general.