[theme-reviewers] Guidance on theme security

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Wed Oct 20 14:02:34 UTC 2010

Perhaps we should indicate an allowable age of backward-compatibility
support? What's the right answer here?

1) Themes must support current major WP version only (e.g. 3.0, not 2.9.x)
2) Themes may support a certain number of previous major WP versions (e.g.
for 3.0, Themes may provide backward-compatibility for 2.9.x, or 2.8.x)
3) Themes may provide backward-compatibility as old as the Developer wishes
to support

I think One might be a bit restrictive, and difficult to enforce (WP 3.0
adoption is at just over 49%, 4 months after release), but certainly easiest
on the Review Team. I think Three would be way too difficult to manage, and
would end up causing nightmares for the automated checks (Theme Check and
the Uploader Script), due to backward-compatibility support for deprecated
functions. So, it would seem to me that Two is the most viable option.

The question is: how far back?

Chip