[theme-reviewers] Featured Themes Proposal

Rodrigo Galindez rodrigogalindez at gmail.com
Sat Oct 9 19:53:07 UTC 2010

Hi Chip,

First, apologies to all for being M.I.A in the list. These past weeks
have been crazy busy! Replying quoted:

On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 3:28 PM, Chip Bennett <chip at chipbennett.net> wrote:
> Greetings, all!
> We would like to start hashing out how we will handle Featured Themes. Below
> is our current thinking, which we put forward for feedback.
> First, we would like to have more of a set, specific number of Themes that
> are "Featured" at any one time.
> Second, we would like to ensure that the Featured Themes represent a good
> variety of WordPress Themes.
> Third, we would like to have more input into the selection of Featured
> Themes.
> To those ends, we propose that the Featured Themes list be comprised of one
> Theme from each of the following Categories:
> 1) Magazine Theme
> 2) Portfolio/Gallery Theme
> 3) Minimalist Theme
> 4) Theme Framework
> 5) Special-Purpose Theme - to feature any other uses of WordPress
> 6) Special-Interest Theme - cause (Breast Cancer, save the whales, etc.) or
> seasonal (Christmas, Mother's Day, etc.)
> 7) Community Pick
> 8) Theme Reviewers Pick
> 9) Dev Team/Automattic Pick
> 10) Random

I agree on everything, except "Random". If these themes are featured,
they are because they were consciously picked by the community as an
example of good theme design. There's little chance than picking a
random as featured will help in transmitting this idea.

> Do these sound reasonable? Would you add (or remove) any categories of
> Themes?
> If we're agreed on this concept (one Theme at a time, Featured from each of
> the categories), then the next questions are:
> 1) How long should a selected Theme remain as "Featured"?
> 2) How long should a formerly selected Theme be required to wait until
> eligible to be Featured again?

I'd say, these depends on the criteria for being selected as featured
in each category. For example, how we decide a theme to be as featured
in the "Minimalist theme" category? And, if we got the criteria
resolved, how many minimalist themes do we have? If we have just 1, we
should showcase it until another minimalist theme appears that matchs
to our featured theme criteria.

Best,

Rod

> Any other thoughts, ideas, or input into Featured Themes?
> Thanks,
> Chip

Interaction Designer
clarisapp.com | rodrigogalindez.com