[theme-reviewers] Pagelines Themes: Theme URI

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Wed Oct 6 18:20:12 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 12:46 PM, Chip Bennett <chip at chipbennett.net> wrote:
> It's not that the pro versions are not GPL-compatible; rather, it is that
> the Theme Repository is being used to push users to the pro versions.

Mmmm... I'm a bit torn on this one.

On one hand, I say that if they link to a page about the theme, then
it's okay to try to upsell people in order to get paid support for the
theme. Time is money, and somebody asking for money to provide support
strikes me as perfectly valid.

On the other hand, he appears to be trying to sell the themes
themselves here instead of selling support. It's also possible that
the Pro version has extra features or something along those lines.

This difference can be a fine line. Your call, and in this particular
instance I totally agree. But I'd say that we need to be careful to
distinguish between upsells and support sales. Selling service and/or
support, even for a free theme, is reasonable to me.

Just my 2 cents.