[theme-reviewers] Theme Test Data WXR and SQL Updates

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Tue Jul 27 01:20:56 UTC 2010

On Monday 26 July 2010 4:22:10 pm you wrote:
> > I've been working on the SQL dump for the Theme Test Data, and have
> > realized one enormous issue: attachment file linking.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
>
> Good point -- that is a problem with the SQL dump. :)
>
> I think we shouldn't offer a SQL file -- it seems like overkill for
> testing content. The WXR import grabs attachments correctly as long as
> you check "download all attachments" when importing -- so that's a big
> advantage to that method.
>
> I think we should focus on just the WXR import file for now and make
> sure to remind people to check "download all attachments" when
> importing it. The user ID issue can easily be fixed once for each test
> instance, so in my opinion it's OK to not have the SQL version as long
> as we show a way to easily correct it with sample SQL statements.

Okay, so I'll dump the SQL dump idea. :)

> So, along with the WXR file we could explain how to use the sample SQL
> commands to instruct how to easily fix the user ID values. Testers
> should be fairly familiar with MySQL and should be able to apply the
> patch to their test database with phpMyAdmin or via the command line
> -- which is knowledge they'd need to use a SQL dump anyway, right?

I'll make sure I add instructions to add "Test Author" as User ID 2, which
should facilitate the data import, and preserve the bypostauthor comment
classes.

> The sample commands could go near the top of Theme Unit Test Codex
> page, where we have the link to the test data.
>
> > Please take a look here, and make any final comments:
> >
> > <http://themes.chipbennett.net/wordpress/>
>
> It's looking good! I love how the most important things are in Layout
> Test and easy to get to.
>
> Here are my requests:
>
> - On Layout Test page 3 could you add a full-width image (as seen
> here: http://2010dev.wordpress.com/image-alignment-and-styles/)?

I'll tidy up the image tests, and put them all in one post (as I did with the
layout tests). So, we'll have "Layout Test", "Images Test", and "Readability
Test".

> - On Layout Test pages 2 and 3 could you change the lorem ipsum to
> real English words (for example:
> http://2010dev.wordpress.com/readability/)? It's much better to see
> how English words will break and testers tend to actually read and
> scan it if they can understand it.

I've added a "Readability Test" (paying homage to James Barrie):
<http://themes.chipbennett.net/wordpress/readability-test>

> - Could you update Layout Test page 4 to use the sample HTML from
> http://2010dev.wordpress.com/element/ instead? It's an updated
> improved version with more elements?

What am I missing, aside from a Definition List? I'm pretty sure I've captured
every other relevant HTML element. Let me know if I've missed any.