[theme-reviewers] Change 'add_custom_header' from _must_ include to ...

Edward Caissie edward.caissie at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 14:38:02 UTC 2010

I would like to submit back for discussion to the mailing-list/Theme
Reviewers the "must" requirement of including 'add_custom_header' support to
themes.

The function itself is great and relatively easy to implement but I see it
as focused for use with single banner style image header areas, such as
Twenty-Ten and similarly designed themes. This then presents an issue for
themes that do follow this particular design concept/layout especially
themes that do not have header images per the author's choice; or, a more
difficult to address issue of themes with multiple images in the header ...
again a theme author's choice.

Dictating the use of 'add_custom_header' as a _must_ item in theme
development will start pushing themes to more of a cookie-cutter look and
feel, not to mention the potential for authors to simply lift the code, for
example, from Twenty-Ten and drop it into their own theme to meet the must
need of the requirement. This leads right into originality issues with
themes as well ... another topic for another thread.

As examples, I will use my own themes (currently in the repository) simply
due to my familiarity with them.

1) Desk Mess Mirrored:
http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/desk-mess-mirrored/
- three (3) header images; of which each image I have seen modified
individually, or with one other ... or in rare cases all three.

2) Shades: http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/shades/
- no header image; although 'add_custom_header' should be relatively easy
and straight forward to implement I envisioned this theme to start with no
header; and, to allow end-users to modify the header area as they saw fit.

3) Ground Floor: http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/ground-floor/
- no distinct header image; this theme has a dynamically expanding header
area to allow for very long titles, taglines, horizintal top menus etc.
Implementing 'add_custom_header' would for all intent and purpose break the
theme's look and feel.

4) NoNa: http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/nona/
- a distinct header image that is integral to the theme layout itself. To
implement 'add_custom_header' for this theme is possible but would require a
certain level of skill with a graphic program to create additional headers.
Otherwise it is essentially being dictated the theme itself may be required
to be re-written and the graphics re-made to meet the requirement of adding
this function.

In my opinion, themes similar to 2) and 3) above would be detrimentally
affected by the "must" use criteria placed on 'add_custom_header'. Themes
that follow similarly to 4) above may have limited usability added by the
addition of the function.

Quite honestly I would like to be able to add the function of custom headers
to Desk Mess Mirrored, but as I wrote at the beginning of this message the
'add_custom_header' function does not appear to directly handle multiple
header images displayed on the same page at the same time; and, from what I
am able to see in the supporting core code it would require a great deal of
custom code to add that functionality to the theme, or similar themes, in
question.

I strongly believe the function has a great deal of use and potential, but I
do not believe it _must_ be included for a theme to be accepted into the
repository. Perhaps suggested, recommended, or simply optional would be a
better requirement benchmark.

--
Edward Caissie
http://edwardcaissie.com