[theme-reviewers] Draft Theme Development Checklist

Lance Willett nanobar at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 15:58:58 UTC 2010

>> I don't think an SQL version is necessary, just the WXR to import into
>> a test install.
>>

> Some tests require certain UserIDs to exist (e.g. author comment styling). As
> long as the WXR import will retain the relationship between post author and
> post author comments, that's fine. I'd still, though, like to provide a SQL
> import file, for anyone who wants a "clean" install of the test environment.

Sounds fine, if you think its truly useful. I've been working around
the author comment styling by placing a new comment after loading the
test data. It helps me test the comment functionality, and also adds
in the correct comment class to test the author styling with.

So even though it's annoying, I think it's actually a good thing since
it forces you to test a comment. :)

>> Let's clarify the purpose of the checklist.
>
> The two primary differences, as I see them, are as follows:
>
> 1) Licensing: non-repository hosted themes need not adhere to the 100% GPL-
> compatible requirement for repository-hosted themes.
>
> 2) Feature support: non-repository hosted themes need not provide support for
> any particular WP core feature/function that will be required of repository-
> hosted themes (custom backgrounds, header images, and nav_menus, nascent to
> 3.0, come to mind).

In light of these differences, it makes sense to split up the
checklist as detailed below, then.

>> Should we consider doing a tiered checklist in three pages?
>>
>> 1. Theme Coding Standards
>> 2. Theme Directory Standards
>> 3. Theme Unit Tests

> I like the approach. Whatever the case, we need to consolidate the Theme-
> Development focused pages around the Codex - and this would be a good
> opportunity to do so.

Great. I worked on this a lot last night and this morning, and will
send a detailed update shortly.

-Lance