[theme-reviewers] Draft Theme Development Checklist

Lance Willett nanobar at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 20:52:35 UTC 2010

>> Good afternoon, Theme Reviewers!
>> Please take a look here:
>> http://codex.wordpress.org/Theme_Development_Checklist_Draft
>>
>> These are the draft theme development checklist and review criteria. Please
>> take a look and comment. Once we're all agreed on the guidelines, I'll
>> generate WXR and SQL files to accompany the revised guidelines.

Thanks for your work on this, Chip. I'll be working on this as much as
I can this week.

I don't think an SQL version is necessary, just the WXR to import into
a test install.

>> Everything should be retained from the current TDC, and I've updated the
>> required file structure and supported functions/features through WordPress
>> version 3.0.

Let's clarify the purpose of the checklist.

1. Is it only to show what is required to submit a theme to the directory?
2. Or is it also for theme developers in general?

For option one, the purpose would be "What are basic items I need to
check off before I get my theme submitted?"

Option two is a list that can be used by web designers wanting to make
a rock-solid theme -- perhaps for a client site or for personal use --
*and* by theme developers wanting to create rock-solid
publicly-released themes.

An example of this distinction is the license requirement. That should
be required for directory submissions, but not for a theme developer
that is creating a theme for a client project.

Should we consider doing a tiered checklist in three pages?

1. Theme Coding Standards
An updated version of the current theme development checklist aimed at
all theme developers listing the standards that every WordPress
theme--including themes that will never be publicly released--should
abide by.

2. Theme Directory Standards
A new checklist that specifically states the requirements for
submitting a theme to the WordPress.org directory (then edit
http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/upload/ to point to this page).

3. Theme Unit Tests
A simpler version of the current test data with some useful updates.

Thoughts?

--
Lance Willett | Automattic Theme Wrangler