[theme-reviewers] wp_enqueue_style for style.css?

Andrew Nacin wp at andrewnacin.com
Sun Jul 11 08:33:27 UTC 2010

Hi reviewers --

I have seen a few mentions of the enqueue API not being used as cause for
rejecting the theme.

I'm curious if that is being taken into consideration for style.css as well,
or only for additional assets, such as JavaScript and additional CSS files
that don't happen to be concatenated.

We had this discussion with Twenty Ten (which does *not* enqueue style.css).
At the time, it was judged (in part by me) that style.css is ubiquitous in a
theme and it's only a waste of cycles to register and enqueue it. On the
other hand, after thinking about this some more, if they are all enqueued,
then a plugin could scoop them up and concatenate them.

Thoughts on what the best practice should be here? (If this has been
discussed previously, I apologize; I am subscribed to this list but I did
not follow it far out of the gate.)

Nacin