[theme-reviewers] Theme Unit Test: Author

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Sat Aug 21 17:03:56 UTC 2010

On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 11:54 AM, Bruce Wampler <brucewampler at gmail.com>
 wrote:

> I guess Author Page isn't quite accurate - but...
>
> If you click on an author, you get the by-author archive. IF the author has
> a bio
> in the user profile, that bio and the avatar are displayed at the top of
> the archive
> page. Maybe that is just a feature of Twenty Ten? Guess I should look at
> other themes.

That must be a Twenty-Ten feature (similar to the way that I display
tag/category descriptions on my taxonomy pages).

> But if it is a standard way to operate, then it should be noted in the
> things
> to test list.

I don't think it's standard, or even necessarily very wide-spread. It might
be something good to include in suggestions for Theme Development good
practice, but I don't think we should make it a requirement for inclusion in
the repository.

(And for good reason: many - if not most - blogs are single-author. Many
blogs are also designed either not to display by-author archives at all, or
at least to no-index such archive. So, customization for by-author archives
are generally not very high on most Theme Developers' priority llists.)

JMO

> I guess I consider Twenty Ten the gold standard for WP 3, and base a lot
> of my understanding on the way it works.
>
> Thanks for your patience with my ideas and questions.
>
> I think all ideas and questions have merit. (That's why I tend to ask a
lot, too.) :)