[wp-hackers] Timezones, server settings, and WP dates

kellan kellan at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 23:26:26 GMT 2005

I realize this topic has veered a little off topic for wp-hackers but
I thought I'd throw some links out there in case someone did want to
build either Matt's posited timezone webservice, or map based
interface.

The Olson database is the closest thing to a definitive source of
timezone info, both current and historical timezones, including
daylights savings.  Perl has an excellent interface to it in the
DateTime::TimeZone modules (part of the generally excellent DateTime
project)

http://www.twinsun.com/tz/tz-link.htm

This is indexed by region and city name, rather then lat/long.

Freely available timezone shapefiles exist (I don't have a ready link
anymore).  But timezone shapefiles, some GIS knowledge, and maybe a
map from the Blue Marble project would go a long way towards making it
possible to write a script to generate a client side imagemap for a
clickable timezone selector.

-kellan