[wp-hackers] Timezones, server settings, and WP dates

Eric A. Meyer eric at meyerweb.com
Thu Jan 27 19:29:38 GMT 2005

At 10:50 -0800 1/27/05, Matthew Mullenweg wrote:

>Eric A. Meyer wrote:
>>     On the other hand, in my shell account, I have in my .bash_profile:
>
>Since PHP is normally going to be running as a module and the web
>server user, your enviroment variables would not be available.

    Yes, I know.  Did you read the rest of the message?  In it, I said:

"Might there be a way to effectively say to UNIX from PHP, "Hey,
what's the time if I claim 'EST5EDT'?" and then use what comes back?
(Adjusting the TZ designator as necessary, of course.)  That would
mean it was only necessary to pick the appropriate TZ designator, and
not have to implement time-shift handling in WP."

    So it doesn't matter what account under which PHP is running, nor
its environment variables, if it's possible to send a question to
UNIX and get the answer back, as I described.  Maybe it isn't
possible, but you answered an entirely different question.

--
Eric A. Meyer  (eric at meyerweb.com)
Principal, Complex Spiral Consulting   http://complexspiral.com/