[wp-hackers] more nofollow

Scott Merrill skippy at skippy.net
Mon Jan 24 14:16:39 GMT 2005

I said:
> A nofollow plugin will benefit everyone using WordPress who wants to
> use it; and it need not burden anyone who doesn't want it.

I'd like to follow this up with a question to the core development
team:
   is it logically consistent with the idea of
   the plugin system (ie: a mechanism to _add_
   functionality to WordPress) that users be
   required find and enable a plugin to _disable_
   a feature of WordPress (ie: nofollow)?

I understand that many folks are opposed to the addition of a new
option to enable or disable nofollow site-wide.  If nofollow is a
core feature of future versions of WordPress, I'd really like to see
WordPress accomodate those folks who aren't interested in it, either
by an administrative option, or by using a plugin to _enable_
nofollow, rather than disable it.

Given the polarity of opinions on the issue, and WordPress's stated
goal to keep the core simple and fast, and to rely on plugins to do
all sorts of extra stuff, I really think that a nofollow plugin is
the best way to move forward.

--
skippy at skippy.net | http://skippy.net/