[wp-hackers] OT: "Nofollow" Rant

Josh Jarmin fuegodesigns at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 14:34:47 GMT 2005

This seems to be the best idea yet.  Nofollow will still be turned on
by default but will time out after X days (hopefully an admin option,
but we could live without it being one).  It still hurts spammers but
at the same time only hurts real people for X days and then goes back
to normal.  This method gets my vote.

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 02:34:37 -0500, Mark Jaquith
<mark.wordpress at txfx.net> wrote:
> Has anyone been able to give a reason why giving links rel="nofollow"
> for a few days would be detrimental to... well... anything?
>
> Someone brought this up earlier, and it really gives you the best of
> both worlds.  All links in comments will have rel="nofollow" at first.
> But if the comment is still there after X days, it gets removed.
>
> Thus, rel="nofollow" acts as a BACKUP spam method, in case some spam
> gets through and you don't get around to deleting if for a few days.
>
> Comments that are up there for X days are assumed to be legit (otherwise
> you would have deleted them already), and are given Pagerank by Google
> just like before.  I know someone wrote this code for their personal
> use... I think it's the best solution.
>
> - Mark Jaquith

Thanks,
Josh Jarmin