[wp-hackers] A rise in comment spam falling through to moderation

r at schestowitz.com r at schestowitz.com
Sat Jan 22 13:07:26 GMT 2005

Quoting Dave Cohen <cohen.dave at gmail.com>:

> Was just curious if others are seeing the same problems as I.  More and
> more comment spam is falling through to the moderation queue than ever
> before.  I have 3 implementations of arsenal in my fight, renamed
> wp-comments-post.php, Kitten's SpamWords, and Kitten's Spaminator.  All
> of these were working great until this week.  Was it just a matter of
> time before they figured out how to get around our walls, or are they
> using new techniques we don't have an answer for?

Spaminator seems to do a darn good job for me (over 100 interceptions in the
past 20 hours), but my friend Harvey Tobkes, for whom I set up his blog, gets
quite a few pieces of junk flooding through. Renaming the 'URI' field to 'Web
site' seemed to have made the spam harmless though.

--
Roy Schestowitz
http://schestowitz.com