[wp-hackers] OT: "Nofollow" Rant

Craig Hartel craig at nuclearmoose.com
Fri Jan 21 23:47:42 GMT 2005

If someone employs one of the many effective spam tools that are available for
WordPress, the nofollow discussion is practically moot. I don't understand the
hype about all of this, to be honest. In theory, if no spam ever made it through
my spam-killing scripts, then I have no need to worry about whether or not that
spam has a link that needs the "nofollow" attribute added.

It's all about perception; it's about Google et al. wanting to give the illusion
that they are helping us out. Where was all of this spectacular coordinated
cooperation months and months ago when we were all crushed under the scourge of
comment spam? It was in the community, where dedicated coders were hammering
away writing scripts to help us stop and manage all the crap.

You'd think they invented an entirely new concept in internet communication or
something. Put a damn option in the admin panel and move on to solve RSS feed or
login problems. Enough of this "nofollow" crap. It's getting to be as tiresome
as spam itself.

Craig Hartel
Cranky Nuclear Moose.