[wp-hackers] Support for "nofollow"

inforequest ai6bois02 at sneakemail.com
Fri Jan 21 03:08:49 GMT 2005

Stephen Minutillo steveminutillo-at-gmail.com |wordpress hackers list
092004| wrote:

>see nofollow only as a fail-safe.  You have all these spam prevention
>measures, whatever they are, maybe keyword scanning, bayesian
>analysis, a whitelist if that's what you like, registered commenters,
>looking for suspiciously encoded characters, too many links, too many
>comments in a short period of time, etc. etc.  But still, some comment
>spam is going to get through.  rel="nofollow" on brand new comments is
>going to make sure that when spammers do figure out how to get around
>your countermeasures (and they will, eventually), they STILL get no
>benefit.
>
>It seems that WP 1.5 has some new, very effective spam countermeasures
>already.  It's going to take spammers a while to figure them out and
>rewrite their tools to get around them.  If it's very well known that
>1.5 also makes use of nofollow, there's a chance that the spammers
>won't even bother retooling to attack it, and move on to some other
>target.  At least, that's my naive hope.
>

>Steve

Well, the thinking in some spammer camps is that this is an admission by
the major search engines (SEs) that a link is a link; and evidence that
SEs consider a comment spam link meaningful enough to deserve this kind
of action. That has not been the official message before. The prior
message has been that guestbook and comment backlinks are somehow
filtered or devalued when compared to genuine in-context backlinks.
Effective if super-high volume, but not generally worth any long term
investment.

With this new announcement  we should see alot MORE comment spam now,
because there is virtual certainty that they have value. Believe it or
not, alot of spammers did not bother with the automated blog comment
spambots because they had better ways to get higher quality backlinks
(think wiki spam, link buying, reciprocal trades, referrer bombing).

The comfortting note is that spamers will continue to target mainly
UNMANAGED blogs. They are likely to look for footprints to older
versions of the blog software, so it would be wise for WP to make sure
the new version has a different footprint than the old version. Get a
reputation for using rel=nofollow in WP (believe it or not you have that
already :-), and make sure WP1.5+ has a different footprint than 1.2 in
the comments areas. Also, the captcha methods and the
varying-form-field-names-and-layout methods should work well as a foil
to most bots.

If you moderate comments or allow them with rel="nofollow" or use any
other post-post management technique, you may quite simply have to
delete alot more spam now than you did before.

 -=john andrews
coming soon to www.seo-fun.com

--

'Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it.'" Goethe